The arts and humanities are about how human beings express emotions and ideas. Arts subjects teach how to create things like drama, paintings and music. Humanities subjects study how these ideas have affected human culture and society. However, there is a lot of crossover between the two areas, as well as with social sciences like anthropology, and subjects like law and modern languages are sometimes also considered to be humanities.
Why study arts and humanities?
If you want to become a professional artist, musician, actor or writer, studying an arts course will give you many of the technical skills you need. Humanities courses do not train you for specific careers, but teach a range of skills such as literacy, research and communication that are useful in a wide range of jobs.
However, there’s much more to studying the arts and humanities than just preparing you for the world of work. Studying them will teach you creativity and different ways of thinking about yourself and the world, which will improve all areas of your life.
TOP COLLEGES FOR ARTS AND HUMANITIES COURSES:
- Lady Shri Ram College (LSR) for Women, New Delhi
- Stephen’s College, New Delhi
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Miranda House, New Delhi
- Hansraj College, Delhi
- Madras Christian College (MCC), Chennai
- Hindu College, New Delhi
- Sri Ram College of Commerce(SRCC), Delhi
- Fergusson College – Pune
- Ramjas College – Delhi
- Indraprastha College for women – Delhi
- Stella Maris College – Chennai
- Sri Venkateswara College – Delhi
- Xavier’s College – Ahmedabad
- Jesus & Mary College (JMC) – Delhi
- Francis College for Women – Hyderabad
- K J Somaiya College of Arts & Commerce – Mumbai
- Mount Carmel College – Bangalore
- Women’s Christian College – Chennai