“Law” is the basic part of our constitution. The law education is the only legal education in India.
The student who passed this degree, designated as the “Lawyer” and that have to be done before the entry in the court activities and practice.
The education of law in India has been offered by the various universities and in various academic levels.
There are the following degrees of legal education in India.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) – 3 years : LLB is the most common degree of law education. The LLB takes the 3 year as the duration of the course.
- Integrated undergraduate degrees – B.A. LL.B., B.Sc. LL.B., BBA LLB, B.Com LL.B – 5 years :One who wishes to do the integrated course can take the admission in 5 year integrated programme after the completion of 10+2 exams.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) – one/two years: LLM is the master degree in legal education having one or two-year duration. It has been started in India before 2012.
- Master of Business Law: The MBL is the master degree in legal education with the specialization in business law having one or two-year duration.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): There is a good prospect for PhD after the legal education. Most of the highly reputed autonomous institution provides the PhD programmes.
- Integrated MBL-LLM/ MBA-LLM – 3years: One who wishes to do the integrated course with business specialization can go for the MBL-LLM or MBA-LLM. It is a 3 year degree programme after the completion of the LLB.
Top Universities in India
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
- National Law University, Jodhpur, Jodhpur
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University, Lucknow
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna
- National Law University Odisha
- National Law University, Delhi, New Delhi
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam
- National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi
- National Law School and Judicial Academy, Assam, Guwahati
- Tamil Nadu National Law School, Srirangam
- Maharashtra National Law School, Nagpur
- Criminal Lawyer
- Civil Litigation Lawyer
- Legal Analyst
- Document Drafting Lawyer
- Legal Journalist
- Legal Advisor
- Government Lawyer